New Bridge served as a battleground, fort, encampment ground, military headquarters, and intelligence-gathering post in every year of the American Revolution. The Steuben House, c. 1752, is the only extant building from the 1776 Retreat through Bergen County — Thomas Paine wrote about George Washington leading the troops across the New Bridge in the narrow escape “Retreat to Victory”. For 2 weeks in 1780, the Steuben House was Washington’s HQ and it has been the Bergen County Historical Society’s HQ since 1939.
BCHS collections were begun in 1902 when the organization was founded. They represent the largest collection of artifacts and documents reflecting the history of Bergen County.
Historic New Bridge Landing: Bergen County’s Premier Historic Site
American Revolutionary War Battleground featuring 3 Jersey-Dutch sandstone houses including the Steuben (Zabriskie) House (a State Historic site) & barn, tavern, artifacts on exhibit, gift shop & out-kitchen. Site open for events — visit the website for the schedule. The grounds are open dawn to dusk.
HNBL, 1201 Main St., River Edge, NJ, only 7 miles from the GW Bridge. Free parking.
The New Bridge Landing train stop on the Pascack Valley line out of Secaucus Junction is one block away.